Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A 150 lb surprise

First of all, let me explain that if anything involves Heather and Kivalu Ramanlal, it is going to be VERY, VERY, generous. We have always experienced this when it comes to anything that includes Ryan's sister and husband. So, we experienced this yet again when Heather and Ki called and told us that we were going to be receiving a 150 lb. shipment of fresh fish from Hawaii where they live. After Michael and I picked it up at O'hare, we had no idea what we were about to witness. As I opened up that box, my mouth fell open. Inside the box were 7 different HUGE fish. I had sent the camera with Ryan and Regan as they were in Utah at the time, so I was thinking inside the box and thought, "Darn it, I don't have a camera to showcase this one!" So as we unloaded the fish, I thought of Maile's camera and went and grabbed it. Here is the fruit from that thought...these few pictures. I don't know how to prepare fish...I know..many people find this crazy. :-) So...I told Michael and Chelsea that I had no idea how we were going to store them in our freezer. Michael said, "Let's put them in garbage sacks because they are so big." I thought it was a great idea and went to get the tall kitchen garbage sacks, but only one of the fish fit inside it. All the others were too big for the kitchen size sacks, so I had to pull out our big yard bags instead. We were laughing and having so much fun as we prepared the fish the best way we could without our fisherman, Ryan.
I love this picture of Moochie because it really captures him. He is, how do I say this, a little germ-a-phobic. So, he had Chelsea grab him some surgical gloves. After he had pulled a bunch of the fish, I said, "How are you doing???" To which he responded with this look with bloody fish juice. We had such a fun time laughing it up together. Heather and Ki not only gave us a tremendous amount of amazing fish, but a fun filled adventurous night that we wouldn't have had without their generosity.


Here is the box it came in. This Mahi was the only one without a head. It was HUGE!!! The box pretty much filled our suburban back from side to side. I am so mad at myself for not have thinking about Maile's camera before we were almost done with unloading the box. It truly was an amazing sight to see fish packed to the brim of the box. To see the hugeness of these creatures! Chelsea looked in the box and said, "WOW! That one's eye ball is as big as my ear!" It was so true! Ryan is so excited to dive into our freezer and eat these "ono-licious" fish. It brings me to tears to think about how amazing Kivalu and Heather have been to us...ALWAYS! We were SO blessed to be married and then live close to them when we were first married. Their examples have burned into us. Honestly, if I was asked who some of the most giving people are, their names would be at the top of the list. Oh how we love and miss Heather and Ki!!! Thank you for the fish...and for being who you are!!! You are amazing! You sent us a box that makes us miss you even more than we already do!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Dawn, your sentiments are so kind and sweet. Thank-you. I am amazed at your graciousness. If my hubby was out of town when 150 lbs of dead carcasses arrived for ME to deal with---I probably would have gagged the whole time I was putting them away. You are a brave beautiful soul. And, I/we adore you and your whole clan.