Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving and beyond

After Turkey Bowl, we started to attack the dinner preparations. Ryan really did most of the cooking this year. It was quite divine! Here is Regan and my super hero making a sweet potato casserole.
We had a very relaxing holiday. We played games..the kids really loved the "Would you Rather" card game. It was fun to hear their answers and hear what they thought each person would want to pick. While Ryan and I were in the kitchen, we heard laughing and hollering from upstairs. The kids came down and told us that they had made toilet paper fashions as they were now the toilet paper family. When I told my family this, they said, "Uh Dawn, I think that they have been watching Project Runway with you!!!" We don't have any other pics from our actual dinner, but it was really fun to have candle lights and hear what everyone was thankful for. Here is what they said:
Dad--Family. friends, and gospel of Jesus Christ
Mom--Family, friends, and gospel of Jesus Christ...we think so alike!!!
Maile--"Everything!"
Regan--My family and the planet earth!
Ariana--McDonald's pickles...she said this laughing....she was in a very giddy mood. :-)
Kyla--"I am thankful for boo boos...Maile's nickname for our dog, Ella.
Eva--BIRTHDAY CAKE!!! We all laughed as she said this straight faced!
We are so thankful for all that we have been blessed with...and this includes all of our friends and family reading this!!!
So...Friday, Ryan and I braved the crowds at the black Friday sales...it was fun to go in and out! We LOVE this tradition. It's really the only time Ryan loves to shop...so I love this day even more!!! When we got back, he played basketball and then we ran off to get our Christmas tree. Now, what I'm about to tell you, is going to be rather shocking...especially from an Oregonian!!! We, gasp...bought a fake tree this year!!! I know, I really can't believe it either! The funny thing about this is when Ryan and I were first married, he asked me if we should get a fake tree and I scoffed at the idea. I told him that this Oregon girl would NEVER have a fake tree. It's against everything Oregon in me...well, when I saw the 9 ft pre-lit 1200 bulb tree at Costco, I told him that we should get it. His mouth was wide open. He couldn't believe that his Oregonian girl would suggest this!!! So, we went as a family and bought it today. We got the floor model on a discount. It really looks great, but I do have to admit, I do miss the smell of the real. While we were getting out all the ornaments, I told Maile to pick up the glue gun...she asked why and I told her, because it gets a lot of use at our house...especially when we bust out our ornaments and kids play with them. It got a workout today!


As a tradition, we have the kids pick out an ornament each year to represent something about the past year for them. It is fun to see the wide variety of ornaments on the tree. The kids enjoy looking and playing with their ornaments. I love Regan's look as he is flying his airplane ornament.



We finally got the tree assembled and lights on. We love this time of year..fake tree and all!




1 comment:

wgp said...

Wow, that tree is gorgeous! Where's the topper??? You are the best parents in the world! Love you and can't wait to hug everyone...