Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Nauvoo

After our delicious breakfast, we headed over to Nauvoo. Our first stop was a boot shot that Grandma Red wanted to see. Our group is so big, that it is hard to fit everyone into some of the smaller shops. It was fascinating to hear about how they made shoes and boots back then. We learned that the pioneers would rotate their shoes from wearing them on their left and right foot to right and left. Can you imagine trying to wear a left shoe on your right foot now a days?! We were touched to see that the two missionaries giving the tour were a father and son duo. I imagine that the son was able to go on a mission because his dad went with him. Moochie and I had tears in our eyes about that one!
The kids ran down Parley street to the black smith shop. This same road is the very road that the pioneers all lined up their wagons as they left Nauvoo in February as they were escaping mobs coming behind them so many years ago. It is amazing to be in a place that has so much history. I love seeing historical sites! My Mom and Dad were so amazing to take us all around the country...and beyond, as we were growing up to see all the historical sites. So many fun memories!

This camera shot is a bit blurry because I was laughing as I took it. Right as my Mom and Dad were getting ready to have their picture taken, a bug flew into my Mom's face. I tried to snap the bug playing with her as she was making us laugh with her screams, but she composed herself for the picture before I could get the "before" picture. Hard to believe that the last time my Mom and Dad were in Nauvoo, I was 12 years old. WOW...has a lot changed since then!!! Who would have thought that we would be visiting YEARS later with me being pregnant with our 6th baby!


The girls were super excited to pet the horses that were going to pull our wagon for a tour around the city.



No comments: