Tuesday, December 15, 2009

This and That

When we used to live in Hawaii and the west coast, we would look at the weather forecasts for the rest of the country and be amazed at how some people could live in cold places that had single digit and negative temps during the winter. Living in Chicago has brought those temps to real life for us. Our friend that used to live in Alaska would tell us stories of how he would throw a pitcher of water out his door and it would freeze mid-air before hitting the ground. WOW! Crazy things happen...thankfully, we have not experienced that kind of cold, but we do have crazy things happen that don't happen anywhere else such as the freezing of windows and doors from the INSIDE. The above picture was taken of our front door when the kids were running out the door to the bus stop. The minute they opened our front door, our storm door fogged up and immediately froze from the inside. Last Christmas, my Mom and Dad were visiting. We went to the movies and when we came out to our car, we found it encased in ice on the outside as well as the inside. My Mom and Dad were horrified. We forget that that seems strange to people as we are used to it since this is our 6th winter here...yes, we measure how long we have lived here by the winters!!! :-)
Maile had her best friend, Alia, over for a sleepover the other night. Ryan and I laughed when we would walk by the basement door. They were all giggles! They watched the 6th Harry Potter movie together as they had both not seen it. We made carmel corn for them and then Ariana, Regan, Ryan, and I watched part of the 3rd Harry Potter movie upstairs. I saw Regan running around with paper and a soccer ball ornament that breaks apart. I asked him what he was doing and then read the note, "Break me open and get something special." He had put candy inside it and then threw it down to the girls in the basement for their enjoyment. He continues to be so thoughtful!

When I was growing up, we had something called, Christmas Mouse at our house. CM was a mouse that would come and leave you something special if you had done a good deed or had extra good behavior that day. He would leave you a treat or coupon by your bedside along with a little Christmas Mouse figurine. We had 6 of them for the 6 people in our family. I LOVED waking up to find CM next to my bed with something fun. Some of my favorites were the coupons for outings with my Mom. Well, CM doesn't just live in Oregon. He has found us here in Chicago! He has visited our kids this season. The above picture is of Ariana going on a treasure hunt to find her coupon from CM. On Sunday, her teacher gave her a bag of candy. When I was seatbelting kids into the car, I saw Ariana giving out all of her candy to her siblings. Not only did I see this, but so did CM because Ariana got a visit from CM that night. Her coupon says she gets to go with Mom to the craft store and buy a craft to make together. I can't wait!!!


No comments: