
This is a bit of a funny/sad story. While we were in New York, Chelsea told us over the phone that a mommy bunny had a nest in our garden box in the back yard. Chelsea didn't know that the nest was there until...Ella our dog got into the nest and destroyed some of the baby bunnies. Yes, I feel awful even though it is nature. Chelsea wouldn't let Ella out to the back yard unless she was on a leash so Ella couldn't destroy more bunnies. When we came home Tuesday afternoon, the kids showed us that there were still bunnies alive in the nest. We told them not to touch the nest or the bunnies. Well, Ana picked one up (dead) with a tupperware container and put it by the back door. I told Ryan to take the dead bunny and dispose of it. He did. There were other dead bunnies laying around the yard...because the mother bunny pulled them out of the nest, probably to save the others. So Wednesday afternoon, I was on the phone with my friend scheduling out carpools and what not when Eva walked into my room with this creature in her hands. She was so excited to show me! I thought all the bunnies were dead, so I started screaming thinking she is holding onto a dead bunny in our house...nope, it was alive...and it was moving it's little head. Baby bunnies look a bit like mice minus the tail, so I really thought it was a mouse at first. So Eva put the bunny on our couch in our bedroom and the poor little thing was moving it's head. Well, after interrogating Eva, she told me that she put the baby bunny in a Tupperware container with a washcloth and had it sleep in the girls' doll house overnight. She even tried to feed it waffles. She was totally crying as she told me because she thought she was in trouble...she wasn't...I just wanted to know if there were more and how did this come into the house as well as thinking about hand washing for Eva. I felt awful! It all made sense to me because all morning, she was playing super quiet in her room. Well, now I know why....she was playing with this baby bunny. So I asked if there were any more bunnies and she said no. I went to the nest and there were no more bunnies, so I wondered if she was housing any more...but she wasn't...they all died.

When I asked her to show me where she had the bunny, she pulled out a Tupperware container with a washcloth as a bed from behind the pink staircase in their room. They had hidden the bunny from sight. When the other kids came home, I asked them if they knew about it. It turns out that Regan was the one who did it and put the bunny there Tuesday morning. I asked him why he did that, he said, "Mom, I wanted to see it grow like a plant...but don't worry, I washed my hands really well after touching it." I explained about how the baby bunny needed food and what not and he said, "Don't worry Mom, I took care of it. I put a medicine syringe and fed the bunny, milk through it. The baby wouldn't open it's mouth, so I would just place drops of milk on his lips and he would lick it off." So we put the bunny back in the nest. Maile would put gloves on and check it. She was going to call the preserve in a neighboring city and take it there so it could have a chance to survive as the mother bunny obviously thought the baby was dead and gone when really, the baby was alive in our warm doll house. Maile came into our bedroom at 6am the next morning and said, 'The bunny died...it was too cold outside...I buried it in our front yard in a toilet paper roll and duct tape." I felt awful! So, the flag is half mast at the Batchelor house.
1 comment:
ah, the end of the bunny saga. It sounds so much cuter with your rendition, I remember something different, and that you handled all of it so sweetly, so calmly, unlike myself! Dawn is an amazing Mama, world!
Post a Comment